Did you know that eating right is linked to not just increased strength and energy, but better brain power, too?
These five CEOs break down what they eat in order to continue performing at their best and run their companies at the highest level.
CEO #1: Seth Godin, Best-Selling Author, Blogger, Marketing Expert
Seth Godin approaches his diet like he approaches his work. He is known for saying, “Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.” He applies this to his diet as well, and says you should “create a diet you don’t need to escape from.” He does this by continuing to eat all his favorite foods, just in moderation. Here is a typical breakfast Seth Godin loves:
- A smoothie of frozen bananas, hemp powder, almond milk, dried plum, and walnuts thrown in a blender.
CEO #2: Oprah Winfrey, Executive, Talk Show Host, and Philanthropist
Oprah has had a lifelong struggle with weight loss, but she feels very confident in recent years that she’s found the winning formula. Oprah does not want to deprive herself of a little rosé and some bread once in awhile, but she balances out her indulgences with a diet full of natural, nutritious choices. Here’s how you can join Oprah in her waist-slimming diet plan:
- Eat lots of legumes, fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, and lean meat
- Limit sugar and white wheat flour
- Don’t eat after 7PM
CEO #3: Brad Lande, Head of Birchbox Man
Brad used to hate his half-asleep mornings. In his thirties, he decided to totally rethink his morning routine, and adopted five healthy morning habits. Two of those have to do with nutrition:
- Drink hot water with a dash of lemon. It lowers blood pressure, guards against infection, cleanses the liver, and revitalises the skin.
- Make a nutritious morning smoothie. Brad’s favorite recipe consists of: coconut water, kale, banana, blueberries, bee pollen, almond butter, and ice.
CEO #4: John Mackey, Founder & CEO, Whole Foods Market
John Mackey favors a plant-based diet because he believes it’s the best way to boost your overall health, and reduce your risk of cancer and other diseases.
There’s also a ton of environmental reasons why he chooses plant-based.
Mackey uses two simple principles to guide his dietary choices:
- Eat real food; avoid anything processed or refined
- Eat a ton of vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, whole grains, and seeds.
CEO #5: Victoria Beckham, Business Woman, Fashion Designer, Model, and Singer
Victoria Beckham is a passionate advocate for the Alkaline Diet, which holds that replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline foods improve health. (Higher acidity is linked to higher rates of illness and disease, according to some studies.)
Sound interesting? Here’s what you can do to stay alkaline like Beckham:
- Start your day with hot water and lemon (same practice as CEO Brad Lande, above!)
- Substitute regular refined sugar for honey and coconut palm sugar
- Choose goat and sheep milk products, rather than cow
- Eat mostly raw foods
As you can see, there are lots of different strategies for fueling your body and brain. It’s a great idea to meet with your doctor and come up with a nutrition plan that works well with your preferences and lifestyle.
Medical nutrition therapists are licensed physicians who have training in nutrition. Several of our doctors at CCG are licensed nutritionists, including Dr. Tatyana Borisiak, who was recently interviewed for an article that dives into nutrition therapy in-depth.